A Dairy Delicious Dish Perfect for BBQs
School’s out for SUMMER! Well, almost. Summer is right around the corner, and if you’re like us, you’re already planning to kick it off with a Memorial Day barbecue. You’ve got the baked beans, the ice cold drinks, and of course, the barbecue, but where’s the dairy?! Impress your guests with this mouth-watering macaroni and cheese recipe from Real Simple and also get the filling nutrients it provides for a safe day in the sun!
Things you need to know:
- This recipe serves six people and takes about an hour to prepare (worth it).
- Each serving has about 400 calories per ½ serving (but so worth it).
What you’ll need:
- 5 tbsp. butter, plus more for the baking dish
- 1 pound of elbow macaroni
- ½ cup of all-purpose flour
- 6 cups of whole milk
- 2 cups of grated Gruyere (8 oz.)
- 1 ½ cups of grated Cheddar (6 oz.)
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
How to make it:
- Heat the oven to 400° F.
- Butter a 9×13-inch baking dish or any shallow 3-quart baking dish.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Wipe out the pasta pot and melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for two minutes (don’t let it darken!). Still stirring, slowly add the milk. As it cooks for six to eight minutes, stir it occasionally until the sauce slightly thickens.
- Add the Gruyere, Cheddar, cayenne and 1 ½ teaspoon of salt and cook just until the cheeses melt. Mix in the pasta. Transfer the pasta mixture to the prepared baking dish and bake until golden for 25-30 minutes.
After treating yourself to this mac and cheese, store-bought brands just won’t cut it anymore. This will definitely become a family favorite – especially with the kids! What are your favorite dairy meals? Tell us in the comments!